When one of those much used appliances in your Virginia Beach VA home ceases to work correctly—or even at all, there comes the need to choose either repairing the malfunctioning item or replacing the item. Although the cost of each option is most likely the first thing you think of, there are other factors, such as age, energy, and technology that you should consider as you make your decision.
- The 50% rule: Generally speaking, if a repair is estimated to cost 50% or less than the replacement value, it is usually better to have it repaired.
- Check the average life expectancy of the appliance to determine if it still has enough service years in it to justify the repair.
- Be aware that old parts may be unavailable. Check this site to locate those that are out-of-date or difficult to find—and instructions for installation.
- Consumer Reports that if your appliance is eight or more years old, it usually it makes sense to buy a new one for your Virginia Beach VA home.
- An important consideration is energy-efficiency. Energy Star-rated produced after 2001, e.g., use 40 percent less energy than those manufactured before that date, and that might have a bearing on your decision.
- If big-ticket items such as heating and cooling equipment in your Virginia Beach VA home need frequent repairs and your energy bills are going up, it may be time to replace them with energy-efficient systems.
- Check out the ENERGY STAR website for product information.
- It so often happens that soon after you purchase an appliance, a newer, more advanced model with desirable features comes on the market. If the item you’re considering repairing or replacing falls into this category, it may be worth your while to invest in the improved appliance rather than repair the old one.
- Experts seem to agree that it is probably wiser to replace electronics than to repair them. But don’t throw the old ones away; recycle them! Don’t know just how to do that? Greener Gadgets can help you.
April Partida is a Professional, Experienced and Results Oriented, Top Virginia Beach VA Realtor committed to meeting your needs.
April has distinguished herself as a leader in the Virginia Beach Virginia real estate market. April assists buyers looking for Virginia Beach VA real estate for sale and aggressively markets Virginia Beach homes for sale. April is also a Short Sales and Foreclosures Resource Specialist (SFR). Avoid foreclosure and short sale expert, committed to helping families in financial hardship find options to foreclosure.
You can reach April at 757-227-1777 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALL of the information, NONE of the obligation!