St. Patrick’s Day is an Irish holiday celebrated around the globe to honor St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. It is a time for shamrocks, leprechauns, parades, corned beef and cabbage, and green beer. ‘Tis an occasion for the wearing of the green, sporting of Irish symbols, singing loudly at the neighborhood pub, and searching for a four leaf clover. And, in addition, it can also act as a reminder of the benefits of going green in your Virginia Beach VA home.
In spite of the recent push for making “big item” (and often costly) environmental changes to your Virginia Beach VA home, there are innumerable small steps you can take before, on, or after March 17th, to benefit the earth– and your budget. An eco-friendly lifestyle doesn’t need to be difficult or expensive, and you can begin with these tips from Good Housekeeping to create a home that’ll make you — and the earth — proud.
- Get the kids to turn off video games (both the TV and the console) after they’re done playing, and you’ll win back about $100 per year.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth. Leaving the tap running during the recommended two minutes of brushing can waste up to five gallons of water a day.
- Switch to Energy Star-rated CFL bulbs, like Satco’s Mini Spiral S6202; they use 75 percent less energy and last 10 times longer than standard bulbs.
- Open windows and doors or operate window or attic fans when the weather permits. Most heating and cooling systems do not bring fresh air into the house.
- Get off junk-mail lists. Register with the Direct Marketing Association’s DMAchoice mail preference service, and you’ll see a significant reduction in mail after three months.
Other suggestions include:
- Power down computers every night for the good of the equipment and to save money. Leaving computers on all the time shortens their lifetime due to heat stress and mechanical wear.
- Unplug cell phone chargers when not in use. Even when your phone isn’t being charged, your charger is using electricity.
- Make five minute showers a goal.
- Visit sites such as Simple Mom, Parentdish, or Worldwatch Institute for many more easy-to-practice tips for your Virginia Beach VA home.
Although there is no guarantee that using these suggestions will help you find a pot of gold, you will certainly be making the earth a greener place by doing so!
April Partida is a Professional, Experienced and Results Oriented, Top Virginia Beach VA Realtor committed to meeting your needs.
April has distinguished herself as a leader in the Virginia Beach Virginia real estate market. April assists buyers looking for Virginia Beach real estate for sale and aggressively markets Virginia Beach homes for sale. April is also a Short Sales and Foreclosures Resource (SFR) specialist, avoid foreclosure and short sale expert, committed to helping families in financial hardship find options to foreclosure.
You can reach April at 757-227-1777 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALL of the information, NONE of the obligation!